Monday, December 20, 2010

Bat Droppings in the Attic

How to Get Rid of Bats in the Attic

By Mark J. Donovan

Question: - I am seeing droppings in my attic and I think they are bat droppings. How do I get rid of the bats from my attic?

Answer: I had a similar problem in my home this past fall. Initially I thought it was mice in the attic so I set up a couple of mice traps in the attic. To my surprise I wound up catching a bat in one of the traps.

I discovered that the bats were coming into my attic via the small crevice between the rake trim boards and the house siding. To solve my bat problem I used pipe foam insulating tubes. It’s the type of foam insulation that is used for wrapping around plumbing supply lines. I pushed the foam insulation tubes up into the crevice between the rake trim boards and the house siding. It completely solved my bat problem.

To check if the droppings in your attic are indeed associated with bats, stand outside your home during dusk and see if you observe bats exiting the roof area of your home. If you see them flying out of the roof/attic area try the foam insulating tubes. They work and are very inexpensive. Just watch yourself on the roof or ladder.

0 comments:

Post a Comment